PDA

View Full Version : Need Final help picking EMR color.

Woods Walker
03-05-2006, 12:53 PM
I have finally decided that the EMR will be my replacement bug out pack. Took me a long time to decide as ALL of my packs have been a let down to say the least and good gear is not cheap. My current pack is the UM21 but the lack of molle webbing on the belt and small sleeping bag compartment have pushed me to an EMR. I was wondering what color I should order? I have squirreled away Ĺ the money. Looking to get the EMR with XTL lid plus E&E. I have tons of molle woodland packets so I canít justify spending anymore on the Kifaru pockets. Does anyone have some picks of an OD pack with woodland pockets? A CB pack with woodland pockets? Maybe MC with woodland pockets? I looked at the new Zulu but need the capacity of the EMR. Any pics would be much appreciated. As for hardware how does the new foliage look on packs other than the new Army digital stuff? I donít like the new pattern but liked the new hardware. Can I get any color hardware with my pack? It will take me a few more months to get the rest of the coin together but will order then ASAP. Patrick did me good with the paratipi, 4 and 6 man tipi so I think Mel will do right by me too.

I have discussed this in the past and believe that OD will go best with my woodland pockets but thought maybe if anyone had mixed pack colors with woodland pockets pics It would help.

Dan M
03-05-2006, 02:06 PM
I have some pics of an OD Zulu with some WC gear.

Zulu (http://homepage.mac.com/dmarkert/Army/PhotoAlbum33.html)

Woods Walker
03-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks Dan. I liked the pod as a helmet carrier. I was thinking about getting some pods for my other packs. They look cool. I wondered if it move around much?

In fact thanks for all the pics I even seen CB with some woodland stuff. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

poel
03-05-2006, 02:36 PM
WW - Don't know how you might use your pack. Sometimes when I travel I want to be the "gray" man who doesn't attract attention and looking too military can work against that. So I'm getting a Longhunter Guide in CB. That still blends in well with many environments and can be camoed up quickly with some net or panels if need be.

Woods Walker
03-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Pool.

That is one reason why I want a solid color pack. Sometimes I travel and friends of mine have been insulted abroad for our heroic stance against evil aka terror. I could remove the pockets and have a non military look. I have no problem arguing with ignorant people but having some euro trash dirt bag giving me a hard time would piss me off. One thing can lead to anotherÖ..

MATCHGRADE
03-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Poel,
Will that be made from the mil side 1000D cordura?

Lone Piper
03-06-2006, 03:14 AM
CB seems to be the most useful base color out there. Good luck with the choice!

poel
03-06-2006, 06:00 AM
Match - That is my understanding. Same material as the military packs.

MATCHGRADE
03-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Nice. Id love to see pics of that.

Dan M
03-06-2006, 10:38 PM
The helmet did not move around at all when the Pod was cinched. down.

Gizzmo
03-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Eventhough I live in the east. I went with CB on my EMR. OD might be a better color choice during the warm weather months when leaves are on the trees, it stands out like a sore thumb in winter after the leaves have dropped. I did not want camo.

Woods Walker
03-07-2006, 06:25 PM
OD does not seem that bad in winter to me. In fact woodland is not that bad as I have a mix of softwood and hard wood trees with lots of shades of green and browns even with snow. Darn desert camo is real good to in winter too. After all what is the color of the rabbit, chipmunk and deer? Green? No shades of drown, gray and white. I keep woodland BDUs and Desert gortex ECWS rain gear to cover most things. Darn MC is nice but I am too cheap to change over.

OD Alice pack and CB hammock rainfly with gray bottom in softwood.

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/hammock2.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

Winter camp with OD poncho/Alice woodland bivy.

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/downbivy.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

rambler_wannabe
03-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Ever notice how close CB is to WW I khaki? It just works everywhere but the jungle or the one month of springtime rain. It just took 90 years to remember it.

It blends with tree trunks (which is important unless you are a monkey), and disappears remarkably quickly in tall grass

It is also the best urban camo IMO. Black is too SWAT, OD too military. But Khaki is retro. You could probably pull off multicam if you threw on a couple snowboarding patches /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Woods Walker
03-08-2006, 07:02 PM
rambler.

Like I said what color is the deer? The Chipmunk and rabbit? ACU? MARPAT? OD or Woodland? No they are khaki (sort of).

Woods Walker
03-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Seen some packs in MC in one of the other treads. The OD and MC didn't look to bad together but I think the CB and MC work very well. Sh@t that MC looks good however. This will not be easy.

imported_rooster
03-12-2006, 11:56 AM
CB, Khaki etc are great colors but all you need is some idiot to shoot a moving patch of CB pack and think it is a deer or elk...assuming you'll be hunting with it.

poel
03-13-2006, 06:25 AM
Rooster - I agree the CB pack could be a liability in rifle season if you just used it by itself. Sort of like wearing a deer suit - you'd only need some antlers. But the Longhunter comes with removable panels, one side of which is blaze orange. With other earth tone packs, I usually put an orange hunting vest on the pack itself, also one on myself, and my dog if he's with me, and I wear an orange hat. Sometimes I also tie on dayglo plastic survey flagging as well. I've had concerns about my CB tipi along the same lines and usually put out orange panels or flags. No friendly fire incidents so far.

imported_rooster
03-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Poel...roger that.

Woods Walker
03-13-2006, 04:05 PM
poel.

The EMR will be used for a bug out pack. May look to a ZXR or just keep the UM21 or Molle for a everyday pack. So if anyone is shooting at me with the EMR it is no mistake. I am thinking more about that MC.

poel
03-13-2006, 05:34 PM
WW - It is tough to foresee all the ways you might want to use a pack. But from your description, I might go with MC too. It does look like a good pattern.

Woods Walker
03-13-2006, 05:37 PM
That is true.

When I get older I may become more rational. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif . I wonder if anyone has pics of MC pack with Woodland pockets?

Gizzmo
03-14-2006, 04:22 AM
I had one of my sisters sew a blaze orange panel with velcro tabs.
During hunting season I can velcro it on the pals webbing. It's about 600 square inch.

thewolverine
03-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Poel,
You are getting a L/H in CB? Awesome! I thought the kifaru folks only did the hunting packs in black..Very Cool..I would like to see some pics as well.

poel
03-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Wolverine - I am a troublemaker. It's a special order that will have taken almost 10 weeks if it shows up by next Tuesday, as now seems probable. Maybe they'll forgive me if it catches on. Maybe not. The Kifarus are great but "working at capacity" right now. Janice is a GODDESS!!

The pack will go to work within a few days but pics will follow before long.

thewolverine
03-14-2006, 06:43 PM
poel,
I completely understand..You're uncoventional /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ..
Janice and the folks at KIfaru are just plain super...You are correct..
hmmmm how about an ACU longhunter? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Thanks much!