PDA

View Full Version : montana mini rondy

The Vigilante
11-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Missoula! would be my choice! i just can't afford the gas to attend anything past look out pass. The rattle snake wilderness is right out of town like 5 miles. big enough group we could probably get one of the stores in town to extend some demo equipment our way? it would be worth a try. I am looking to get me and my family into xc sking/snoeshoeing. however with my wife due 5/21,.. she might not be up for to much in feb and march. if any of you mt guys want to do something locally lets try and plan it. lets hope this does better than a fly swap. hehe

jbird

Russ-T
11-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Iím up for anything in Montana. Iíve never gotten to meet any of the local boys up here. Feb/March is iffy for me though. Not out of the question but I have a lot of things going on during that time. But if Iím free Iíll be there but I will not know any definite dates until probably Feb (one of the joys of being military). So donít try to schedule anything around me. Thanks

Rusty

Randy
11-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Missoula seems good to me as well. Spokane is just a short hop over the hill from you guys. It would be cool to meet some more Kifaru fans and backcountry guys in some new country. Let me know what you come up with.

Randy

The Vigilante
11-28-2007, 06:30 AM
I am pretty wide open for anything anytime. OF course if it is real cold, i'll tell the wife I need the MOB. ya right. I tell ya I would like to meet a few of you guys also. To tag along on one of these rondys would really help shorten the learning curve on being a rambling fool. I like the idea of missoula in the rattle snake wilderness. I am up for Jan, Feb, Mar, and even april. However, if I draw my smith river permit in april, i gotta go float montanas mini grand canyon. The rattle snake trail head is really only like 5 miles from missoula. it gets plenty of use during the winter for the first couple of miles, after that the traffic really dies off after that in the winter. I am going to take a close look at my planner and we will see what we can come up with. This would be a ton of fun. happy ramblings

jbird

Russ-T
11-28-2007, 05:04 PM
My MOB is on the way! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif should get here towards the end of Dec. I can't wait to try it out especially since Iíve yet to see one in person. My 8-man/large stove should be here by then also! If the location permits it and people want (and also if I have a pulk by then for the weight) I might be inclined to bring the .50 BMG. Itís amazing how many friends I make at the range when I bring it out. Late Jan early Feb is best for me right now. If anybody has a ParaTipi Iíd like to take a look at one of those critters. Looking forward to it!!!!

Rusty

Master Aegidius
11-28-2007, 05:45 PM
In for Missoula.

RD
11-28-2007, 07:10 PM
I'd be up for a get together as well. Missoula would work fine.

Randy
11-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Well, I just picked up a paratipi and small stove from DEW over in Montana. If I can make it I'll bring it along and test it in the snow.

Anyone up for a fair-weather get-together in that neck of the woods as well? Just a thought to get some more folks out who may not be equipped for winter outings and maybe get some of the kids or ladies involved. We had a blast with all the folks at the NW Rondy last summer and it looks like it will just get bigger given the good feedback from all who made the trek.

idaho lad
11-29-2007, 10:41 PM
I'd like to see a rondy in the Livingston/Big Timber area in winter. Mostly, I'd like to watch someone try to erect a tipi and keep it from getting airbourne.

The Vigilante
11-30-2007, 01:08 PM
I was heading to billings in august of 94 and when I came out of the yellowstone river bottom heading towards bigtimber I had a gust hit me and move me from one white line to the other. I actually can't believe I stayed up. There were two semi trailors turned from the gusts that day.....

Maybe thats a good idea kifaru paragliders!

I am headed to missoula this weekend with the fam. but I will check out the local outdoorstores like the trail head and pry some info from the clerks. I will also get a map or two and send copies to anyone who is interested.

Also, we should cast some concrete around a date. One other consideration would be trip duration. 2 or 3 nights and any day preferance. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks.

Russ-T
11-30-2007, 11:54 PM
PM sent.

Rusty

Montanaholic
12-01-2007, 12:17 PM
I live in Missoula so that would be great! What dates were you guys thinking?....hmmm I just remembered....I still attend high school...ouch! oh well...I can still try to make it.

The Vigilante
12-01-2007, 04:49 PM
right now mid to late feb.

Montanaholic
12-02-2007, 06:13 AM
thank you for the info.

Master Aegidius
12-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Montanaholic-

maybe I could arrange a kidnapping.....

Master Aegidius
12-04-2007, 06:12 PM
And, Montanaholic,

how is the butchering coming along?

P.S.- tell your dad "Thanks" for dropping Carl off in the garage before he left!

Montanaholic
12-05-2007, 06:09 PM
That would be perfect! I will pass the message along as well...

poel
12-06-2007, 01:07 PM
FWIW, the Rattlesnake Recreation Area and Wilderness is heavily used and regulated even in the winter. True that the crowds thin out the further you go up canyon, but it is still more like an urban park in the lower part. No dogs allowed at all in the winter and when they are allowed the rest of the year they must be on a leash for the first 1.7 miles. No camping, fires or firearms (even air guns) for the first 3 miles. While shooting is technically legal beyond that and some folks hunt the area with horses or mountain bikes, the canyon is relatively narrow and I've had objections in the past to target practice. Not a shooting friendly place overall. If there is snow, the FS or a local ski club grooms a trail and FS employees do patrol from time to time.

You might find a friendlier environment for a mini-rondy in the Gold Creek drainage which joins the Blackfoot about 15 road miles northeast of Missoula. The GC drainage abuts the Rattlesnake Wilderness along it's eastern edge. Most of the land is owned by Plum Creek but is open to recreation. While much of it has been logged or burned in the last few decades, there is also a lot of second growth and open areas to camp within a short trek from a vehicle. Many people hunt and shoot and snowmobile in that area. A few of us even ski the thickets and old cuts higher up when the snow is decent. Don't know if they are logging up there these days, but that usually only affects recreation in the area of the operation. And if they are logging, they plow which allows driving further.

Might be worth someone scouting that out if you all are serious. The turnoff from Route 200 is actually at Twin Creeks, with UTM coordinates in WGS84 of 12T 293,798 5,199,184. In the winter, the road is only plowed if they are working, and if that is the case the furthest you can typically drive is about 6.9 miles to the gate at the bridge at Cow Creek, 12T 296,387 5,206,894.

idaho lad
12-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Poel makes a good accessment. Farther outside of Missoula would be a better option for you fellas.

The Vigilante
12-07-2007, 10:40 AM
i'm game 4 whatever.

danh
12-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Agree with Poel. I live in Missoula. Rattlesnake is just as Poel describes. Gold creek would probably be a better option. Have winter camped at Lolo pass area also. Gold creek would be most vehicle/dog/gun friendly. There is some good skiing/snowmobiling there also near Sheep mtn. Just suggestions

Russ-T
12-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Since I live over in Great Falls Iíll let the ďlocal boysĒ do the scouting and pick the place. Iím always up for a good hike away from people though and my pulk is on the way. If I can make it Iíll go anywhere.

mnoyd
12-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Guys - I agree - out of the Rattlesnake if possible - too close to town and too many people. Gold creek is better - I would like to attend if my schedule works out.

BigSky
12-26-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm going to ad my two cents worth here. In my opinion, the central location of the Helena area would be best. At least that was my initial thought until, it appears, that every poster except me apparently lives in or around Missoula.

Russ-T
12-27-2007, 03:52 PM
I call my home Great Falls right now so for me Helena is closer but it really doesnít matter either way. Have we decided on a location yet?

On a side note I will be running around the Little Belts around New Years. Figure me and the dog can bring in 2008 in style in my new 8-man, also will be a good time to test out the pulk again.

Master Aegidius
12-27-2007, 04:18 PM
I don't live near Missoula, THANK GOD!

Master Aegidius
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
update?

Russ-T
02-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Iím still on board. I think we still need to pick a location and time. For me the weekend of Feb 9th works best but other times are probably acceptable. I canít comment on the location though as Iím not familiar with the area (90% of my ramblings are in the Little Belts).

Master Aegidius
02-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I am trying to catch an elk before Feb. 15th, so sometime after that would be best.

Who wants to be in charge?

(Not me!)

Russ-T
02-02-2008, 09:29 PM
I call "not it" also.

What do you mean trying to catch an elk.

Russ-T
02-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Master Aegidius, PM sent.

The Vigilante
02-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Hello, i just got back in to town. maybe two or three of us can act as an organizer for this trip.

Email me your phone name and phone number and I will make the calls. This board needs to lock in a date. I say first or second week of march. End of March marks the beginning of fishing season.

March 7th or Feb 29th. Missoula area. Pick a location. I am game for trying anything.

my phone number is406-212-3172 email me at jasonharleybird@hotmail.com i can check that from the road.

sorry to bring this up and kinda bail,... but gotta make money when money is to be made.

talk to you guys soon.......... leave a message if I do not answer.

jbird

Master Aegidius
02-14-2008, 06:16 PM
"Catch an elk" is a reference to my well intentioned in-laws annual query as to the success of my hunting forays... sorry, inside joke that probably should of stayed inside. The elk part is my A-9 tag that becomes invalid after tomorrow (2/15/08).

Went down by Raynolds pass, got into 2 different groups of elk, ended up missing both times. Wanted to use my 1895, but used my '06 instead = wind held constant at @ 30mph, with gusts over! No luck.
Avalanche later that day closed down Hwy 287. Luckily I wasn't involved.

Understand the part about making a buck while you can.....

RWS
02-23-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm a new kifarite, Heading out for a two day outing 2-26 thru 2-27 using a sled up 12 mile out of st regis. Used one time this hunting season, the 8 man worked out great, buddy was impressed.