PDA

View Full Version : briefcase/carry-on

thewolverine
05-05-2003, 09:11 AM
Hi Guys,
I wondered if you ever gave any thought to designing a briefcase/mapcase? I had to tote one around in OCS and hated the thing but later saw some some functionality in something that would hold papers/grease pencil, etc and whatnot. Obviously not much tactical significance but back/forth to work with something rugged that would hold "stuff" like papers, lunch, writing instruments, etc..
Just curious..
thanks,
Mike

Patrick
05-05-2003, 11:27 AM
Mike--

I designed some things like that when I owned Mountainsmith. They were meant to be rather dual-purpose office/field pieces, and were quite popular. Frankly, such a dual-purpose approach would still be my 'druthers. And yes, such gear can certainly be produced be by Kifaru. Thanks for the query. Anybody else out there agree with Mike? And with my add-on of making it more dual-purpose? Just so I can get a feel for the pulse of this request?

Patrick

thewolverine
05-05-2003, 11:46 AM
Patrick,
Thanks very much for the quick reply. Yes, absolutely/emphatically a "dual-purpose". I have seen numerous GIs and others toting a helmet bag, or something a bit odd, through airports/cities, rather than what you suggest, and like Greg mentioned (when he looked at the colors on the recent duffel), it would not be too "loud" but would blend in the best of both worlds.
Respectfully,
Mike

Tyde
05-05-2003, 01:59 PM
Patrick,
actually, I have been brainstorming and laying out an office/work mod to your "Back Pouch" for my up coming spikecamp/pointman order. It starts with an insertable plastic sheet 9for rigidity and has pencil/pen, calculator, protractor/template, small mesh zipered pocket, hangs for pullout 420d pouches, and one divider (paperwork). Paper is 8.5x11, your pouch is 9.5x14 plenty of stuff space. It would be meeting detachable and field usable. It would hold all the nav stuff, mission orders, personel paperwork for the platoon leader and it would still work for us civilian world people. I figure you could make something like this for everyone or just for me, but you will be getting the order for this this Fall/Winter.

Good luck and Good Hunting
Tyde

Sgathak
05-05-2003, 03:14 PM
I like the idea, but my question is... What would make it different from BHIs "executive attache case" or even Eagles "Notebook Cover - Large"

Tyde
05-05-2003, 04:14 PM
Sag
it would be built to attach to pack and can be worn bandoleer style (action on the OBJ. and meetings). The two you mentioned have most of the features that would be needed, but would have to be modified to attach and have a shoulder strap. Not to mention those two would be less cutomized to the Kifaru packs. I am sure that similar items are manufactured as what I am talking about. But, I am looking for something that is designed to work with my carry-on bag. It just seemed like a natural fit for platoon leaders. It could be called "siob", "wired tight", or "PLB"

Good Luck and Good Hunting
Tyde

Sgathak
05-05-2003, 04:18 PM
I ment the overall general idea of "briefcase/mapcase"... though I do like the idea of it being modular to the packs.

kmchan
05-06-2003, 06:16 AM
Dear Folks

Here is my two-cent's worth on the idea of a brief/map case.

To be modular with the rest of the Kifaru military line-up, the case can be just slightly smaller than the foot print of the front PALS panel of the Marauder and rather flat (say about two inches thick).

This case can be dock-and-locked onto the panel, or it can have vertical one-inch straps with snaps (sort of like shortened PALS straps) to fasten it to the pack. Just three or four on the top row and two at the bottom, one at each corner, should work to secure the case while keeping it quick to detach and used with the bandoleer kit.

A Back Pocket or Claymore Pocket can be clipped over this case with no problem and to further secure the case. An additional feature should be mesh organiser pockets for the case so that small items will not gravitate to the bottom of the case.

:p

thewolverine
05-06-2003, 08:01 AM
I like kmchan's ideas..I would also possibly suggest that a shoulder strap be an option,so that once removed from the ruck (when not needed), one could throw it over the shoulder/back and still be mobile.

Mhh

Tyde
05-06-2003, 11:04 AM
That's what I'm suggesting. High organization for the necesities big enough for paper work, locks and docks to packs, can be worn separate (bandoleer, shoulder strap). If it is a modified "Back Pouch" it would be easier for Patrick and the gang to turn out (pouch is designed just have to work on internal organization parts). I have been kicking this idea around for about 5 months now and have a pretty good idea of the end product. Most of the layout will have to depend on what is possible. Patrick, if you would like I could figure out a way to send you a couple of my ideas, but I am guessing that Mel and you proably already have this well in hand. The only thing that I would ask is if you could make it work with the spikecamp (not quite sold on the pointman).

Good Luck and Good Hunting
Tyde

thewolverine
05-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Sorry Tyde, I missed some of the details of your post..It sounds like we're in synch..Your ideas are great! I think that folks out there would jump on something like this..
v/r,
Mike

eggroll
05-06-2003, 12:29 PM
Mike shouldnt you be working :-) *hoot!*

Lets chop some ideas offline - managed to wrangle up some Kifaru materials when we were up there and I am itchin to give my machine another workout. :-)

Patrick
05-07-2003, 11:41 AM
To all--

Quite a buffet of ideas here, men. I think we can crank out a very useful unit. Stand by, y'all.