PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Rondezvous '07 - Update!

Bushcraft
07-20-2007, 01:07 PM
After conferring with my fellow co-chairs, the location of the 2007 Northwest Rendezvous has been finalized.

This year's backcountry rendezvous location was chosen for its many fine attributes that near perfectly suit the needs and varied interests of this year's attendees.

The relatively easy hike into the wilderness destination, situated near a series of alpine lakes and meadows, is approximately six miles on an established trail. The trip should be perfect for the ladies, children and those among us that may need to better condition ourselves for the coming fall hunts. There is plenty of room for parking and room to turn a trailer around at the trailhead for those bringing pack animals. If need be, there is plenty of room to spread out our attendees and stay within the Wilderness Area 12 heartbeat Regulation. The lakes contain very fishable populations of brook trout that can be fooled with fly-fishing or spinning gear. The nearby meadows are often frequented by elk and the occasional bear during this time of year - bring your cameras! For those that are interested, there are meadows nearby that will allow for safely shooting out to 600-700 yards without unduly disturbing the main camp. For those that might be interested in peak bagging, there are several peaks that are well within reach of camp.

In short, it should be a perfect location for this year's rendezvous!

Dogs are welcome with the usual fair warning relating to the presence of pack stock in a wilderness setting.

The current headcount estimate is over 30 people and growing 26 adults (4 ladies) and 6 children. The weather is shaping up nicely with a forecast of sunshine and moderate temperatures. This promises to be a very enjoyable trip with a group of like-minded people!

I will be sending detailed information via e-mail to everyone that has signed up thus far. The final location will not be publicly mentioned. If you would like to attend, but have not yet contacted me directly, please send me an e-mail or private message as soon as possible!

See you all there!

Allen

bushcraft@comcast.net

Buck W
07-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Allen, sounds great! Many thanks to you, Ed C, Randy and any other un-named co-conspirators!

Bushcraft
07-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Information sent via e-mail to everyone that has signed up thus far!

If you would like to attend, but have not yet contacted me directly (or if you did not received an e-mail from me), please send me an e-mail or private message as soon as possible!

Allen

The Vigilante
07-21-2007, 02:14 PM
may I ask what state it is in?
jbird

Bushcraft
07-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Washington - Southern Cascades

SuperBadger
07-23-2007, 05:44 AM
Have fun everyone. I sure wish I could go. Maybe next year.

Kevin B
07-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Hey meat eaters....

Trying to figure out how much to bring. I made german suasage (think brats) and have venison chops/steak. I can bring lots or just some. Not sure how many game eaters we have. It's all whitetail doe venison and is very mild. I just don't want to bring more than will be used. Can't wait.

And thanks to the organizers!

evanhill
07-24-2007, 09:11 AM
oh my... please don't throw me in the briar patch! what is your poison -- perhaps I can bring in something to repay you in kind?

Bushcraft
07-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Kevin,

You can count me in for at least two of those sausages, make that three...the lady will no doubt sample mine and then promptly proceed to lay claim on my offering, then I'll have to get back in line for another. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Allen

Bushcraft
07-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Update: As of now, we are up to 34 attendees...28 adults and 6 kiddos.

snakey2
07-24-2007, 11:45 AM
If it had hooves in its former life I will eat it!!! The walk doesn't look too bad so I may carry more in the food stuff dept. than I might normally so my wife doesn't believe she is going to starve.

disillusionedpatriot
07-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Bushcraft,

Can you arrange to have a six-pack packed in by mule or by goat?

Buck W
07-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Kevin B, count on me to help you with your "surplus" meat problem. You hooked me last year!! Thanks, Buck.

Bushcraft
07-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Echoing the Colorado Rondy...Does anyone want to see or put their hands on something they don't have?

Kevin B
07-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Anyone bringing a paratipi? I have one and a 6 man. So if someone is bringing a Para, I'll leave mine behind.

Dis, I could probably work out to carry a 3 pack for you, I'm sure you understand my gist. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Buck W
07-24-2007, 01:54 PM
I'd like to see a Siwash, and may have to look again at Ed C's GB Mini.

Bushcraft
07-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Things I'd like to see:

- A Siwash panel loader (Kevin?)
- A pair of Hanwags
- A take-down bow & arrow setup

Bushcraft
07-24-2007, 02:11 PM
DP - There might be room on one of the beasts of burden. Emphasis on the might. Tucking them in KevinB's pack while he's not looking might be another option (he should have room in his LH if he leaves the Presto logs at home for this trip). /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Kevin B
07-24-2007, 02:18 PM
I sent a PM to buck about the Siwash, he may like to even pack in, in it. Regardless, I can bring one along, I just can't tote 2 reasonably.... not in consideration of these beverage concerns.

Ice chest room may get tight too with meat.

Ed C
07-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Bush I invited two people that aren't on your list. So you now have 36 attendees. One of whom you will want to pick his brain about fishing if you are wise.

Ed C
07-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Kevin B: Bring your 6 man and para I'm sure we can talk Dolly P or one of Timbertiger's goats into packing it. Don't worry about bringing too much whitetail I've been fasting. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

snakey2
07-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Bushcraft I would love to put my hands on Salma Hayek but my wife will be there!! I may just have to be content with a woobie or two and some packs. Is anyone bringing a long gun?

Bushcraft
07-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Wait a minute, should I figure out how to uninvite Salma then?

I'm thinking about toting my Kimber. I'll have to wait and see how much foo-foo crap, er...essential items, m'lady hopes to saddle me with.

Ed C
07-24-2007, 03:15 PM
You are not going to believe this, but I had to do a google search. Can't say I was disapointed, I thought it would be a salmon or trout. Better go ahead and uninvite her Bush.

I just sent you and Kevin an email of who you should invite.

Randy
07-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Kevin, et al;

I'll pack in some sausage and venison steaks as well. I've thought about toting along the little 45Colt rifle, but that darn ammo is heavier than the gun, we'll see how the pack shapes up with the meat, beverages and tent for my partner. I think Mike is planning on a pack mostly filled with Guiness:)

See you guys on Friday night!

disillusionedpatriot
07-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Screw it. I'm packing light. I might not even bring a gun (gasp!) since I don't have anything anyone else doesn't altready have. A six-pack, a flask of gin, a lime and a bottle of tonic water are the only luxuries I want.

With this number of persons has anyone given thought to how basic safety issues will be organized? Name tags with screen names? Organized activities? Most stylishly dressed. Heaviest/lightest pack? Most K-gear. Worst item forgotten?

JBR
07-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Since many of us will hike in at different times, for those that may be carrying 2-way radios, do we want to designate a channel/sub-channel for any group talk?

Also, would love to hear any ideas/opinions on what flies might be worth bringing along for the fly fishing?

I'm debating on bringing my .300 WSM for some longer distance practice, but that will depend on how much my pack weight gets up to.

Bushcraft
07-25-2007, 10:14 AM
I'll send commo channel info to everyone privately via e-mail.

Drys, wooley buggers (browns, greens) and various midge patterns will fool the hungry brookies.

evanhill
07-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Good call on the commo info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dis, I could probably work out to carry a 3 pack for you, I'm sure you understand my gist.</div></div>

Kevin, again, name your poison. I'm good to carry a six pack for the guy bringing the venison.

I wasn't planning on a long gun. Now that I'm in Seattle for the week, I can't bring one if I want to. Just the trusty 1911. I *am* bringing four extra mags of ball for it if anyone wants to shoot a springfield lightweight.

Kevin B
07-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Evan, I vacuum packed venison sausages last night and I'll pack up the steak tomorrow. I'll be bringing adult beverage as well and I highly doubt We'll go dry, not for lack of trying. Anything you bring in trade will be more than adequate even if it's just good company. I hope to bring a long gun, we'll see how ugly the pack looks though. I probably should anyhow, I need the pack work ahead of hunting seasons.

disillusionedpatriot
07-25-2007, 11:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushcraft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DP - There might be room on one of the beasts of burden.</div></div>

Well if there is toss in a 6-pack of Bud. I'll repay.

Ed C
07-25-2007, 11:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: disillusionedpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Screw it. I'm packing light. I might not even bring a gun (gasp!) since I don't have anything anyone else doesn't altready have. A six-pack, a flask of gin, a lime and a bottle of tonic water are the only luxuries I want.

With this number of persons has anyone given thought to how basic safety issues will be organized? Name tags with screen names? Organized activities? Most stylishly dressed. Heaviest/lightest pack? Most K-gear. Worst item forgotten? </div></div>

I'm with dp pack light for sure. More importantly are the awards. I am assuming this has been organized. If not let Bushwack know either by PM or email. I assume the name tags are ready? If you haven't received yours again let Bushwack know. Don't leave home without them!!

Bushcraft
07-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Will do DP! I assume fully leaded?

Bushcraft
07-25-2007, 11:38 AM
C'mon Ed...heavier packs make for a more fine and pleasant misery. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Ed C
07-25-2007, 11:40 AM
What about the name tags and awards?

Kevin B
07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Seriously Ed and Allen, I have as many as 40 links, weighing about 13 lbs. How much do I bring? I'll bring em all if they'll get et??? I know whatever steaks I bring will disappear.

I'll offer up some once fired .22 brass for an award how's that?

Bushcraft
07-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Seriously, bring as many of them as you are willing to share. Many of us will be doing likewise...gotta clean out that freezer before the coming Fall anyway. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Bushcraft
07-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Ed,

All fishing awards are off now that I know you are bringing a ringer!

No name tags...it will be more fun to guess the board names of those in attendance.

Ed C
07-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Kevin: If you bring em Dolly said she would pack em in for you, if there is no more post about eating horses. Seriously 40 doesn't seem like too many for 38 attendees. I'll throw in a jar of Habenaro mustard.

Whitetail brauts and chops yum. I'm thinking you are going to be the hero. All I have is some lowly elk meat.

scothill
07-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Wild game meat did someone say wild game meat? I would respond with more enthusiams but will let it go at heck yeah I would like to sample your offerings. Oh and my brother has volunteered to pay you back with your favorite beverage so I will just make him carry double to pay you back.

I would like to see the following

Scout
EMR
Longhunter

scothill
07-25-2007, 03:57 PM
FYI my plan is to be in sometime tomorrow night. Did it get decided what trail head is being used for access?

Bushcraft
07-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Yes, the initial TH. The other access route is a no-go. E-mail will go out a little later tonight.

Allen

evanhill
07-26-2007, 06:23 AM
White Pass has a rockslide somewhere near the top. Supposed to be cleared up by noon, but worth checking if you were planning on traversing early in the day.

Randy
07-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Just took a look at the WSDOT website...bad news...White Pass is basically closed on the west side at the Hiway 123 junction to the summit. Latest on the Naches Ranger District radio report is that the earliest that it will re-open is late in the weekend or sometime next week.

Best bet for those coming from Oregon may be up the gorge to Biggs, over Satus and up to Yakima then up the pass. I don't know how much extra driving that will entail for some of you, but the only other option is all the way north and over Snoqualmie (I-90) or the route from I-90 to Crystal Mtn, over Chinook Pass and then catching White Pass on this side.

Kind of a monkey in the wrench with this rockfall, hopefully all you guys can make it up.

Randy

JBR
07-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah, just saw the news. Randy...PM coming your way with quick question regarding that...