PDA

View Full Version : I got a little "concerned"

P_R
07-08-2007, 08:40 PM
You might get a little laugh out of this...

On my last scouting trip, I was planning on coming home Tuesday night. There was going to be some free grub at church on Wed that I wanted to get home to. But at the last minute I changed my mind and decided to stay one last night in the woods.

So my plan was to go to this lake only about 1/4 mile from the car. I got there at about 9PM. It was dark, and I couldn't find a good place to bed down. The only place I could find was on this old game trail. I didn't like it, but figured it would probably be okay. The trail ran north-south, and the wind was out of the north. I reasoned that I'd "mark" the trail as mine on the upwind side to alert any animals coming south on the trail. And I figured anything coming north would smell me and be gone. So I lay out my pad and my sleeping bag, and didn't bother with the tarp since it didn't look like rain was coming.

So I go about 20feet north on the trail (upwind) and commence to "mark" my territory. As I'm doing so, I happen to look back downwind toward my bag and see these two green things, in the light of my headlamp. "What the heck is that???". The dark can play tricks on you with distance and depth perception, but I would have guessed they were about 9" apart. I watch them for a little bit, and suddenly they move a little bit. EYES!!! EYES downwind of me, watching me!!! They looked positively demonic! So with my heart racing, and my "mark" still splattering everywhere, I dive into my pack for my gun. Finally I got it and look back up and the eyes take off up the hill.

So, with gun in hand, sobbing like an baby and crying for my mommy, I decide that there's no way I'm going to get any sleep tonight. So I pack up my stuff, go to the car, and drive home.

That church picnic on Wed sure was good! hehehe

(Okay, the sobbing and crying part was added for effect, but the rest is true.) /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Sawtooth
07-08-2007, 09:05 PM
I'll have to have Smokepole fill you in on the Grape Creek Monster. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I suppose it wasn't so funny at the time.

Buck W
07-09-2007, 08:24 AM
As Patrick McManus has observed.."all of the bears turn into stumps at daylight" /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bushcraft
07-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Favorite McManus observation/recollection that makes me chuckle nearly every time I bed down for the night in the backcountry when solo..."somewhere off in the darkness, an ant hiccupped."

chambero
07-09-2007, 02:34 PM
It's funny the little insignficant things you remember the most about someone.

On one of our first hunting trips to Colorado, my best friend's dad came with us. We were hunting during early archery season and there wasn't another soul around. We were hunting out of a road camp, but it seemed awfully remote at the time. My friend's dad had served in the Army in the 60s in Germany had done a reasonable amount of hunting. But he was still fairly unnerved by the solitude. We sat around the campfire and began hearing "stuff". He made a comment to the effect that nobody really knows what all is "out there". Trying to sound intelligent, I made a comment about how the forest in the Pacific Northwest is so much more dense and roadless and that why the big foot stories came from there. He looked at me as serious as could be for a few moments and asked "Do you just have to ****** bring that up?"

We still laugh about how genuinely scared he was. Unfortunately, that was his last hunting trip to the mountains with us. He died of Lou Gherig's disease in 2003 at about 55.

McManus is wonderful. I need to find some of my old books of his and read them to my boys.

Buck W
07-09-2007, 04:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chambero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
McManus is wonderful. I need to find some of my old books of his and read them to my boys. </div></div>

Great idea! My sons loved them! I hope yours do, too.