PDA

View Full Version : Pointman Feedback?

Jerry Y
07-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm hoping to order a Kifaru pack in the near future. I think I'm looking towards the Pointman. I'd be mostly using it on 2-3 day trips and planned on getting a Pod for it and maybe some of the pouches that attach to the waist belt.

Looking for any feedback from users/owners of this pack.

Thanks,
Jerry

jhuebner
07-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Hello Jerry,

I don't normally post much, but your post looked a little lonely. I just recently purchased a Pointman, and like most, would say it is a darn good pack with great versatility. I opted for the Pointman over the Late Season due to the PALs webbing and its ability to accept the Dock and Lock pouches (I like the way they cinch down vs. the hunting line). At any rate, I recently tested it out on some short excursions in Yellowstone with my family, but have yet to torture test it...I have no doubt it will withstand any punishment I can give it.

I chose the Pointman for a couple of reasons. First, it will force me to choose the equipment I take wisely...versus packing the kitchen sink. Secondly, it will work just fine as a daypack, as it cinches down easily. And lastly, If I need to take more gear, I simply add more pockets.

I'll be testing it out in early October, here in Texas, in an area that is foot traffic only due to the Nat'l Recreation Area designation. Any deer that I shoot will have to be packed out. I know most can hardly believe that, but such places do exist in Texas. I'll also be taking my oldest boy on his first cow elk hunt in October during the second rifle season in area 61. My hope is that if the good Lord blesses him with an elk, we can haul out the backstraps and trimmings with the Pointman, and then come back with my Cargo Hauler for the quarters.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong by choosing this pack. You may want to add another pack with either more or less volume in the future, but for your first purchase, it's a sure bet. By the way, it is an extremely comfortable pack as well.

Best of luck to ya'!

Jason

John Havard
07-09-2007, 12:31 PM
I'll second what Jason says. I have used my pointman now for two years and have put it through the ringer. Performs exactly like you'd expect a 1000 denier cordura bomb-proof pack to perform. Nary a hint of a problem. In cold weather hiking I like the size of the pointman for a day pack, since you (at least I) need to take a reasonable bit of clothing with you for when you stop. Plus, as Jason points out, the PALS webbing makes it super-flexible. I don't think you could possibly find yourself regretting the choice of a pointman as a large day pack or a 2-3 day pack with judicious packing.

John

Jerry Y
07-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Thank you both for your responses. I, too am looking into the Pointman to force me to watch what I pack. It seems if I have the room, I tend to fill it with something.

Thanks again,
Jerry

Ken
07-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Jerry- I've used the Late Season before and found it a bit snug for all my gear. I opted for a Siwash and feel that it will better fit my needs for a 2-3 night trip. I should be able to get all my gear AND a boned Whitetail out in one shot with the CC and/or some PODS.

PHfactor
07-19-2007, 09:08 PM
I've had my Pointman just shy of two yrs.I have 2 long pockets,2 stash-it's for the belt,1 claymore pouch for the top lid,a Sm,Med,& Lg. pod for extra gear.I mix and match all the time,I weave the malice clips through the pals for a rock solid fit.
What i really like about the pointman is the bottom access my ruck is really organized the first day out,the second day is anybodys guess even with most my stuff in pull-outs things still end up on the bottom.
My pointman has been submerged twice and i find that opening top and bottom helps it dry out faster.It's a great pack for what i use it for.

Jerry Y
07-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the input. Now all I have to do is save the $$.