PDA

View Full Version : Mountainsmith Frostfire 5 pack question

4 Hands
07-06-2007, 07:51 PM
If someone is familiar with this pack, I could use a hand. Unfortunately, I could not find a picture of the pack on the internet to link to and I don't know how to load pictures ... so I'll do my best to explain my question.

On the backside of the pack (i.e., opposite side of the shoulder straps), there is a component of the pack which can be completely detached from the pack. It is a little less than 1 foot white by 1 foot tall. It attaches/detaches from the pack with four buckles and 2 kifaru-esque mating tabs on the bottom. It has the classic bungee cord which wraps around the inside edge of the component (like on an Express pack, etc.).

What is this thing and how do I make use of it?

Thanks for the help.

Patrick
07-09-2007, 11:48 AM
4 Hands, I'll make a stab at answering this. I've been a field, so please forgive the delay.

This must actually be a Frostfire 3, since that's the biggest we ever made, and it is a big pack! There are a couple of possibilities on what that "thing" is on the back of the Frostfire. It might be one of the Lumbar Packs, which would attach onto the old MS packs. It most likely is a sort of "trampoline" option...I forget what we used to call them. It functioned as a "stash-it" device...you could cram stuff behind it and carry whatever it was there. Such as snowshoes, etc. Pretty useful, really. Hope this helps.

4 Hands
07-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

It definitely says Frostfire 5 (interestingly not on the pack but on the attached item at issue here).

Upon reading your post and re-examining the pack, I believe you're right about it being used as a place to stuff extra items, including a snow shovel.

Thanks again for the insights.

elmbow
07-10-2007, 07:36 PM
4 hands, my Crestone II had a similar "pouch" but it was attached at the bottom and had a pocket in it too. It was a stuff sack/catch all as Patrick noted. Best packs made in their time.