PDA

View Full Version : Introduction & Question

Jerry Y
07-05-2007, 02:36 AM
Hello,

My name is Jerry and I'm from upstate NY. I like to go camping, hiking, Bow and Gun Hunting, and Outdoor Survival.

I'm looking into purchasing either a 4-Man Tipi or a Para-Tipi. Most of the time it's just me and my dog. But sometimes another person, so I'm headed for the 4-man.

Can you purchase the add-ons later? Such as the stove, liner and mosquito netting?

When camping in the rain, anyone have any trouble with water getting in and wetting the floor?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

SuperBadger
07-05-2007, 05:46 AM
You can definitely purchase the accessories later, and as for the floor, I can only comment on my experience with the paratarp, but I can say that water doesn't really get in, unless you camp in a low spot, or something like that. From my understanding with the tipi's, water on the floor isn't really an issue. Having a floorless shelter is actually nice, because you don't have to worry about spilling things, or walking inside with your boots on.

Ksnake
07-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Hi Jerry,

You mentioned outdoor survival. To what extent? No gear? Minimal gear? Or just camping with a tent while practicing making tools and stuff?

Anyway, this is a great time of year to get out there with just a tarp and give floorless camping a try. You can also get a cheap bug net at REI.com if needed. Most people that try floorless end up liking it better.

Ken
07-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Hi Jerry.

I requested the netting on my 8 man be removable via velcro. I'd imagine you could have your tipi made this way knowing that you will be adding the netting at a later date. This would save you from sending the tipi back in to have the netting installed. The netting can also be attached by zippers.

Either way, it would be best to call the shop and discuss your options with the folks there.

You probably will like the floorless method of camping once you give it a whirl. Pick your camp sites wisely and water will not be an issue.

Where in upstate are you? I'm from the Northville area.

Pocket Lint
07-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Hey Jerry,

To prevent water from getting in my hootchie, I dig little trenches around it for water drainage. Placement of your tent is a factor, I try to place my hootchie on a small slope (small slope, 1-4% grade) so the water drains downwards and away from my hootchie.

I like having a floorless tent, but some people may not like having critter crawlers sleeping with them!

Jerry Y
07-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Let's see I'll try and answer everyones questions.

My outdoor survival has been camping in a tent or tarp, and praciticing my skills. I'm taking a week long course at The Wilderness Learning Center in August.

I said upstate so people wouldn't think NYC. I' about 15 minutes east of Albany.

Thanks for the input, I'm going to give Kifaru a call now.

Jerry