PDA

View Full Version : water carrier?

rickdog
04-05-2003, 07:48 PM
I have been on Camelbak about a coyote version of some of their carriers for about a year. No dice. I like the Hawg and the Transformer. I don't want to buy Woodland or Desert, but I need a new carrier soon.I was looking for something in Coyote that was modular and uses Molle. I found one from Blackhawk. I don't like it though. It has Molle Webbing everywhere, no insulation and no straps. Here it is:

http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=2823&d=1

I think something with Molle webbing on ONE side would be good. It could have reasonably good shoulder straps, a way of attaching it directly to the gear and a couple of pouches you can put on and off. It would be kind of like the Transformer, but more versatile. You could have another bladder carrier and a pouch for MREs. If you put Molle webbing on the exposed parts, you could put mag pouches there too.

OldFalGuy
04-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Gotta agree with you Rickdog on the BHI as for me it will not attach to the OTV if Molle only as we have no PALS on the the back of the OTV. I used thier pouches as they were the only coyote ones I could obtain for the OTV. Looking forward to this and other add ons from Mel and Company, especially a zippered, compartmentalized large pouch that will attach to the Navigator (and other) ruck for first aid or other purposes.

Mark

rickdog
04-10-2003, 09:45 PM
I think Kifaru could put the thinking and creativity they put into packs to make a good water carrier. I was sitting down with my notebook and put down some drawings tonight. I like the concept.

Sgathak
04-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Have you considered contacting Mike Noell at BHI about a PALS variant on one of his hydrastorm bags?

rickdog
04-10-2003, 11:34 PM
I don't know what it is about hydrastorms, but I don't like them. Like when you meet a person and you don't like them. You don't have a reason you can explain, you just don't feel right. It could be the look of the Matrix, or the colors on th ecamo or the way the cloth feels. There is just something there I don't like.
Besides, I would like this thing to be the right color. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

rickdog
04-10-2003, 11:48 PM
Juat researching my biases and came to some conclusions.
I like the RECON HYDRO PACK (all 3)

It's the Matrix, Tsunami and Tactician that I didn't like. The coloring and the basic look don't rub me the right way. The air channel on th Tsunami looks hot as hades and the material on the Matrix looks like it should be in a school back pack.

Am I just smoking crack on this?
Anybody have experience with these?
Somebody feel free to set me straight.

rickdog
04-10-2003, 11:55 PM
My idea is different enough that it wouldn't just be an existing carrier in a different color.

Sgathak
04-11-2003, 07:01 PM
The Matrix (and Tactican and Ripper) is a recreation pack... You know, rock climbing, mountain biking, stuff like that. Good pack for the job. I dont know about any other roles it could handle.

Ive never used a BHI "IVS" paneled bag so I dont know what they feel like... but the Tsunami is listed as having 530cubic inches capacity, and weighing 9LBS!!!!! I hope thats a typo!

What do you mean by it being the right color? Ive never had problems with BHI gear not being the color they claimed to be.

rickdog
04-12-2003, 01:17 AM
I got the impression of recreation packs with those three you named.

I don't mean the colors are different from advertised, I have seen the packs at shows and stores.
Don't get me wrong, I like BHI gear especially slings. Its just that the colors that make up the camo in some of the packs look unnatural. They don't look like the shades in nature. They look like something Chinese. I am probably making a snap judgement here, that's just my impression. Maybe I should give them another look.
I have always bought Camelbaks though.

Razor
04-14-2003, 08:14 AM
Rickdog, wait a little until Kifaru comes out with their Long Pocket with the top zippered opening. It'll hold a 100oz bladder. You can get it in coyote. It doesn't have shoulder straps, but a little ingenuity and a needle and thread can fix that. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

rickdog
04-14-2003, 09:56 AM
A pocket with homemade straps wouldn't be what I would have in mind.

Recce Gear
04-14-2003, 04:39 PM
Rickdog,

Drop me an email at drtywk@netzero.net I should be able to help you out with a hydro carrier of your own design, providing you are interested.

Drtywk

Deathmachine
04-15-2003, 04:07 AM
Razor,
The current side pouch on the emr can hold a full camelbak with space and You can pull it out easily. I prefer it over a top loading pouch.