PDA

View Full Version : Right stakes for Frank Church Wilderness?

Lovelight
06-29-2007, 10:45 AM
I know the FC is a massive area but a friend of mine this past weekend suggested to me that Durapegs might have difficulty in the rocky soil of the FC. He mentioned the wall tents he's stayed in used sharpened rebar to get through the gravel. Anyone here have some experience in there? The area I'm going to will be somewhere between Indian Creek and Bernard from the river bottom to the ridge lines. Thx.

Dave R.
06-29-2007, 10:58 AM
take nails instead...taek both if you can carry them

Ksnake
06-29-2007, 12:29 PM
You might need nails in established campsites where the ground is packed hard. But if bushwhacking, durapegs will work fine. I like to pack one big nail to make starter holes for the durapegs if needed.

Lovelight
06-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Based on what I see on the maps, I don't expect to find any established campsites except near the river. Based on the pictures I've seen, I'm surprised at my friend's comments but I suppose the surface dirt could be shallow over a base of broken rock. I guess I can take nails and stash them at the air strip if I think they are unnecessary.

rijrunr
06-30-2007, 12:17 PM
I'd leave the nails at home. In my experience in the area you are going into hte sandy soil is difficult to get enuogh purchase to stay real tite. IMO the nails wouldn't work near as well as the durapegs for this reason. I like to use the longer dura pegs also for this reason. The tough thing I've found staying in there is a level spot big enough for the footprint of my para-tipi. when are you going? -rijrunr

Lovelight
06-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi rijrunr,

We'll be up there in September for elk and November for deer. I suppose that I may end up using my elk tag in November but that's the plan for now. I'll be using my ST/annex/sm stove setup both times with an 8 man/large stove by the river for a base camp. I have some concerns about finding a level spot as well. The plan now is to fly in later this summer to check things out and waypoint water sources and interesting locations. Do you have any other suggestions on what to prepare for in that country? I've been told to prepare for a challenging hike.

Thanks-
Ron

rijrunr
07-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Sounds like you're ready to go. Water can be a challenge, theres alot of it in the bottom but going down to get it shoots a day so any source you can find up high is worth remembering. don't be discouraged if you don't see animals early- I've talked to several people who spent a week in july/august and saw....nothing. its steep, far country especially in september. going in november be prepared to not be able to fly out or in for a day or 2 depending on weather. I've been stuck in town twice- I use a down bag in there it gets cold, but is generally dry. the wind generally blows pretty hard so drying your stuff is easy. Lost and lots of hunters around the airstrips- be prepared to pack in at least a day to be alone. Good Luck -rijrunr