PDA

View Full Version : 4 man tipi in a Spike Camp?

barcher
06-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Assuming the Spike camp is outfitted with two side pouches, a small and medium pod, and a cargo chair, how feasible would it be to pack a 4 man tipi and a small stove, and still have room for one or two nights out of equip (sleeping bag, pad, food) along with the normal hunting supplies?
Has anyone done it with this pack? I know that I'm gonna get the "need a late season or Longhauler" and I know you are probably correct, but my question is still how feasible with the Spike?
Thanks

evanhill
06-27-2007, 12:02 PM
3200 cubes (I think that's what all of your items add up to) is not very much space. The tipi and stoves themselves are fairly compact, and might allow you to pull this off. I think the biggest variable is how compact your sleeping bag and pad are. Those two items can eat up a lot of space. Plus "normal hunting supplies" can mean a lot of different things.

I assume you're trying to answer this question before buying a Spike camp. I'd go to a local store with a dufflebag full of your normal hunting supplies, your sleeping bag and pad, and whatever else you think you want to carry and find a pack of comparable size and eyeball it alongside the stuff from your dufflebag and see just how much room you think you're going to have left over for a tent and stove.

mnoyd
06-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Strap it on the outside using the cargo chair - works great for me!

Ken
06-27-2007, 04:06 PM
I think the Spike w/ all those add ons is more in the vicinity of 4500 inches.

I'd say one could get by w/ the Spike in this mode if the gear is compact enough.

A LS would be better and the Siwash better yet.

barcher
06-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the responses.
I'm planning on purchasing a Spike Camp, and really want to get a 4 man tipi - but was considering the Paratipi - but if I can get away with it, I'll go with the 4 man.

Eventually I'm sure I'll end up getting a bigger pack, but for now and for the majority of my needs at this time a Spike fits what I need. I'm just hoping that the few times I'd like to pack out the 4 man would work with the Spike.
I'm a little ways out from needing the Tipi, just wondering.

Thanks

BA

evanhill
06-27-2007, 04:30 PM
You can always cinch a pack down. Going the other way is harder.

Ksnake
06-27-2007, 04:31 PM
The 4-man (minus the poles and stakes) can be compressed down to 10" long by 6" round in a compression sack.

Ken
06-27-2007, 04:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: evanhill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can always cinch a pack down. Going the other way is harder. </div></div>

I agree...

Songdog
06-27-2007, 04:56 PM
I put my E&E on the back of my Express (Spikecamp eq) and thread the straps through the loops on my small stove bag sandwiching it between the two packs. If fits very well. You can easily fit the 4 man in an E&E or a med pod (I can fit an 8 man in a med pod). So all that to say, if you can fit the rest of your gear in the Spike/Express then go for it.

I use my Express for 1-2 night trips during the warmer months. When it gets cooler and the gear gets builkier I switch to the Late Season.

barcher
06-28-2007, 06:09 AM
Songdog,

That's what I was hoping to hear!

Shawn
06-28-2007, 07:39 AM
I think you are going to struggle using your spike camp in that manner. I would go with something a little bigger. The Siwash seems to be one of the better compromises between light and fast and the ability to pack a fair amount.