PDA

View Full Version : water filters

satchel3006
06-21-2007, 04:33 PM
i'm looking at getting a water filter the kind that fit in a water bottle that you just fill it and drink but theres a katadyne(sp) that filters the two main things giardia and cryptosporidium and other organisim but they have another one that just filters out those two and lead and copper. i guess what i'm asking is should i just worry about the main things like giardia and cryptospordium? i'm going on my first back packing trip in july and i don't want to have to boil my water before i drink it on the trail thats fine in camp. thanks

rambler_wannabe
06-21-2007, 04:39 PM
where are you going?

I am getting more and more worried about viruses in the waters of highly travelled areas.

satchel3006
06-21-2007, 11:45 PM
rattle snake creek in washington state near naches

Randy
06-22-2007, 06:01 AM
satchel3006,

I would definitely get something that filters out giardia. The area you are going in is fairly well travelled by hikers as well as lots of elk and deer and lots of standing water higher up on the Tumac Plateau.

Try the Bota Bottle by: http://www.botaofboulder.com/site_files/index.html

They have filter bottles that will fit any squeezalbe Nalgene and are replaceable so you could have a back-up on extended rambles. Hope that helps.

Bushcraft
06-22-2007, 07:09 AM
Not much to be seen in that drainage. Better to get up on the ridges. You might want to take a looksee in the Hindoos.

06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
http://www.berkeywater.com/start.main.html

Sport Berkey, works great.

Res.

wvmnteer
06-22-2007, 08:40 AM
satchel,
I have a katadyn water bottle style "purifier" like I think you are talking about. I don't think it would be sufficient as your sole source of water on a backpacking trip. The output on the one I have is much too low to make enough water for drinking and cooking. If you look at the discharge hole you'll see it is EXTREMELY small. It's about the size of #5 or 6 shot. The physical size of the hole just won't let much water pass. I do use this type of filter for day hikes but wouldn't consider taking it on an overnight trip. You might do a search because I believe these exact filters were previously discussed here.

satchel3006
06-22-2007, 10:34 AM
it won't be my sole water source just while i'm hiking while in camp will probably just boil our water. this is our first trip so we wanted somewhere kinda close we our going up higher than our base camp (if that makes since) but where is the hindoos? never heard of it how close is it to the tri-cities?

Bushcraft
06-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Look up the hill north (and possibly west) of the creek you mentioned earlier.

satchel3006
06-22-2007, 02:15 PM
cool will do thanks

Ken C
06-22-2007, 07:56 PM
http://www.ula-equipment.com/amigo.htm

is the filter I have finally settled on. I hate pumping after the 2nd quart. I did end up making a biggerbag to hold the water.

Pilgrim
07-03-2007, 10:30 PM
I just bought a Katadyn Hiker filter and immediatley bought a Hiker-Pro replacement filter for it. Here's why:
Sawtooth has been using the Hiker model for about 10 years and it's still working like new and he is very satisfied with it. Now THAT is some field testing! (He replaces the filters about every fall.)

While looking at the Hiker and Hiker-Pro models at REI the quick disconnect feature of the Hiker-Pro was missing from the display model rendering the unit un-usable. From that I deduced that lower tech of the cheaper and simpler model was exactly what I prefer. (Fewer moving parts to break or malfunction or lose.)

As for the new replacement Hiker-Pro filter, it has a nylon screen that wraps around the main filter as a pre-filter. Once you have this removable, washable screen, you can always just transfer it to the original filter and get the benefits.

The Katadyn filter is my primary,
Boiling is my alternative,
Micropur tablets are my emergency plan.

I'll report back in about 5 years

Lanyard

Canadian Guy
07-05-2007, 07:22 AM
I have been using the MSR Miniworks EX for a few years without problems; http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/miniworks_ex.asp

It pumps out water at a decent rate and wide mouthed Nalgene type bottles screw onto the bottom which makes filling easier. I have attached the MSR Sweetwater Siltstopper to the end of the intake hose to prevent the Miniworks ceramic filter from getting gummed up to quick and this modification works great.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detai...D=1183648721432 (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 4103&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696689&bmUID=1183648721432)

I highly recommend the Miniworks, I have used it mostly in Northern Ontario and have not contracted Beaver fever yet!

towheadedmule
07-05-2007, 02:44 PM
how would you connect the miniworks to a camelbak? or do you have to fill from a nalgene?

are there filters that will work with a camelbak?

R

Smokepole
07-05-2007, 03:13 PM
thm:

I switched from the camelback bladders to platypus just for that reason--platypus makes an attachment that screws onto the bladder for no-spill filtering. Plus platypus bladders are lighter than camelback bladders, so I carry two--one to go in the pack and another for camp use.

towheadedmule
07-05-2007, 04:35 PM
They look a little cheaper (in price). I have one of their old dromedary bags, kinda 'sweated' fluid when it was full.
how much time to fill one (say a liter)?

Ken C
07-05-2007, 06:21 PM
To fill a camel back using the miniworks, you take the bite valve off your camel back. There is a nipple on the bottom of the filter. You place the camel back drink tube on the nipple and filter the water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: towheadedmule</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how would you connect the miniworks to a camelbak? or do you have to fill from a nalgene?

are there filters that will work with a camelbak?

R</div></div>

towheadedmule
07-05-2007, 06:36 PM
That saves me from having to replace the 3 bladders I have. Now to find a way to fund the purchase of a miniworks. Does it filter out oil. I live downstream from Coffeyville KS, or least my hiking spots are located there.

Canadian Guy
07-06-2007, 07:00 AM
I did not know that about how to fill Camelbak bladders, thanks. Towheadedmule I do not believe the Miniworks can filter out (all) chemicals (oil?) at least from what the instructions say.

weekend warrior
07-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Oil...Ouch. And I thought I had some water problems from time to time. If you use a water bag or bucket to pump from then maybe a single drop of soap would break the surface tension and get rid of the oil. This would give you a "clean" place to filter from. Hopefully this "cure" isn't worse than the disease. Just a thought....

towheadedmule
07-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks WW

Guess I'll stay home and drink beer then. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

way to hot right now anyways

R

The Vigilante
07-06-2007, 04:43 PM
camel back has a water filter that actually goes in the camel backs and filters it as you use it. i think it is like 75 bucks or so. I was thinking of getting one for my self

Brotzie
07-07-2007, 12:46 AM
The (U.S.) Army's done a VERY informative comparison study of the various filter systems available - view it online here: http://usachppm.apgea.army.mil/WPD/CompareDevices.aspx

With thanks to Anthracitic for first drawing my attention to this some time ago.