PDA

View Full Version : Energizer 4AA LED lantern

TR
06-20-2007, 06:36 PM
I reviewed another thread here regarding the Brunton Glorb and didn't see this lantern mentioned, so I thought I'd share my experiences.

The Energizer 4AA LED lantern (http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LED4AA1BP&Category_Code=) has turned out to be my favorite camping lantern. If you want to read all about it's versions and history, check out this (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120978&highlight=energizer+4aa) thread I started over at CandlePower forums some time ago. Basically this thing is a small, folding lantern that uses Nichia LED's and runs off 4AA batteries. Here's a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/LowBat/p1000491arz8.jpg

I often wear this thing on a string around my neck with the lamp pointed at my feet. This illuminates the ground in front of me while not blinding my view up and outward. The area where I'm placing my feet is illuminated well without me having to stare at the ground in front of me. This is one of the biggest failings of headlamps - if you want to see the ground in front of your feet, you gotta look down, not ahead. With a folding lantern hanging from your neck or belt and pointing down, you can glance up, down or around as needed without stumbling over things in your way. This type of setup is peripheral visions best friend.

Another good thing is that you don't blind your buddies because you accidentally looked at them. How many times have you sat around a fire and made the mistake of innocently glancing at your buddies face when he speaks, only to blind the crap out of him and get cussed out for it? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif With a small area lantern, you can look around freely without fear of committing campfire faux pas.

You can hang this thing from the pole of your tarp or tipi and angle it down, off to the side or up, as you desire. That's hard to do with a flashlight. Also, other LED lanterns like a GLORB or a River Rock tend to throw light out to the side, rather than down below where you need it in a tent. Side throw is fine for a picnic table, but nothing is more useless in a tent than brightly illuminating the sides of a tent while keeping a giant black spot on the floor where you are trying to cook.

Hope this helps. Check your local Target stores if you are interested. They are found in the 'home hardware' section with the other flashlights, not in the camping section as you would expect.

The ones on the market today are better than the ones I bought a year ago. If you see them, buy a handful and load them with lithiums AA's for a compact, lightweight, directional lantern. You won't be sorry.

Ken
06-21-2007, 06:24 AM
Cool...thanks!

The biggest issue I usually have with lanterns in the tipi is them not casting downward like you mentioned.

I'll definitely have to check one of these out.

FlatbowMB
06-21-2007, 07:13 AM
What I've found with the Glorb XB, is that if you hang it upside down, it provides much better light underneat the lantern. I'll have to take a look at this energizer unit.

5x5
06-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks I just picked one up tonight. -Ian

Woods Walker
06-21-2007, 07:32 PM
I just can't do it.....Too much gear...Then again......

08-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Just picked this light up tonight. Thanks for the tip TR, this thing works great. Much better illumination than the Brunton Glorb. At $4.00 its a no brainer.

Res.

TR
08-04-2007, 09:43 PM
No problem. I noticed the other day that China Mart is now carrying them as well. I've got seven of them. I keep one in each pack, one in each vehicle and one in my wifes make up bag so she has several hundred hours of area lighting when she goes out of town.

I resisted the urge to toss a few more in the cart /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif