PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Tipi

joshandshastadog
06-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Just came across this site awhile back and have to admit that the tipi and stove combo is by far the coolest peice of equipment I've come across in awhile. I'm glad all the positive feed back I've been reading about is coming from guys that sound like they actually use they're gear and go out hunting, not just talk about it. I'm writing because I'm trying to decide on a Tipi, either the ParaTipi or 4Man and was hoping I could get a couple questions answered. I have read some posts on the message boards that seem to address my question but was hoping to get some feed back to my particular situation. I only go out alone so weight is a consideration but I also enjoy comfort. I spend quite long periods of time in the bush, sometimes up to a month, and I like to get quite far back and be able to move around without having to get back to a base camp. I spend most my time in between Terrace, BC, and Prince Rupert, BC and North towards the Southern tip of the Alaskan Panhandle. It can be real yet up here, I think Prince Rupert may be the city with the least amount of sun in Canada, but it is also fairly mild, January in Terrace averages around -7c (thats about 20F). So my concern is exactly how much condensation would the ParaTipi produce in this kind of environment? Will I be getting dripped on, or will the moisture stay on the walls? I dont seem to notice a Liner for the ParaTipi, does the liner make considerable difference on the 4Man? Also I measured out the floor plan of both the ParaTipi and 4Man, ParaTipi seems fairly big, especially because I'm used to mountaineering tents, but the idea of being able to stand is pretty appealing especially since I will be using it for long periods at a time. The 4Man seems kind of huge for one person when I measured it out, I would consider hauling the 4Man if condensation levels are drastically reduced. And do you think a small stove with the 4Man will be sufficient for my intentions or should I get the Medium stove for a 4Man? and viceversa with ParaTipi and ParaStove or small stove? I'm rarely in weather worse than -18c (about 0F). So any feedback from you guys will be appreciated, anyone with experience with either of these tipi's anywhere in the Pacific NorthWest in the winter and summer will help me make my decision.Thanks

danh
06-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Have spent some wet/damp nights in my 8 man tepee without my liner and had much condensation and drips or rain in the tepee. Readily addressed with a liner and stove. Being able to stand up is a huge plus in my book.

Dave R.
06-18-2007, 03:03 PM
how are you hauling your gear? Back pack...sled...??

standing up in the4 man is very difficult....but with the 6 and 8 man it is possible....To me the 8 man size and bigger reduce an awful lot of stress because you can walk around and not live like a hermit crab. If weight is not a consideration, and If you typically spend a lot of time living in the tent, you will like a larger one...yes...get the liner....

the paratipi and super tarp set-ups are great of you want to go lean and mean.

You should have the medium stove if you are getting a 4 man..

seadug
06-18-2007, 03:53 PM
I have a four man with medium stove and a paratipi. I have only spent 2 nights in the paratipi without a stove and it seems like it would be pretty cramped with a pile of wood and your gear. From my experience I would definetely get the four man over the paratipi if you spend alot of time in it. After going to the ECR and seeing and going in the other size tipis I agree with Dave the larger sizes are more comfortable. Alot to be said for being able to walk in the door instead of crawl or crouch.

joshandshastadog
06-19-2007, 07:32 AM
ok thanks alot guys, i was leaning towards the paratipi just cause I liked the weight, but I thinking about it I guess the 4Man is a better option. So the liner is pretty useful?? its worth it?

evanhill
06-19-2007, 08:50 AM
You've chosen wisely. The 4 man is the right choice for a single person (and their dog) to really live out of, and the weight is not at all prohibitive for a single person to carry. I live in the PNW, and do get condensation on the walls. However, it runs down the walls and doesn't drip into the inside. With the space you'll have in a four man, I would suggest just not packing your stuff too closely to the walls. Now the mosquito netting for your part of the world is a different matter. I would think it would be nice to sleep with both doors open in the summer and not get invaded.

joshandshastadog
06-19-2007, 09:30 AM
yeah, i was already planning on getting the bug netting....do the mosquitoes/black flies get up under the walls easily? I imagine just burning some bug dope would solve this problem anyways.

evanhill
06-19-2007, 09:47 AM
they don't really get up under the walls. the pitch is pretty taught to the ground. they'd have to crawl under and then fly up.

Woods Walker
06-19-2007, 08:43 PM
I have both the paratipi and 4-man. I owned a 6-man. Found that you can stand in the 6-man but not the 4. Well I can sorta stand to change my clothes but that is all. I use some 6 inch tie offs on my nail pegs to make my 4-man a little bit larger. Then I kick snow around the sides to seal it up for heating. I have used the small stove in both the 4 and 6 man tipis. It has enough horse power for the 4-man but think it is under powered for winter in the 6.

The paratipi is easy to heat and very very light weight. But tend to take the larger tipi out as I often don't have far to go and the extra room is very welcome. However I am not going to be selling my paratipi anytime soon as it fills a role. 20 minutes of heated tent can turn back a whole day of cold weather. Hard to get that for only 6 lbs. If I was you and weight was not a big issue I would look at the 6-man med stove combo or the 8-man large stove combo. If you are looking for something that one guy can carry without too much trouble than the 4-man with small stove may be the ticket. Just understand that the smaller stove may take more work than a med. I use the 4-man/small stove combo more than any other winter shelter. Have not had as much time in the sticks this year but did enjoy the indoor cooking and heat of my Kifaru tipi last winter.

I have bug net on the 4-man and it does keep out moderate bug issues if pitched tight. If I was in Maine during bug season I would carry a bug bivy or some of those coils. But for me the Kifau tipis tend to be for winter use. Have only taken mine out maybe 6 times during summer as I tend to solo Hammock camp.