PDA

View Full Version : 4-man or 6-man (plus small-stove)?

Michael Aos
06-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Elk hunting 3rd season last year a buddy and I shared an ultralight 3-person backpacking tent. His brother was in a 2nd 2-person tent.

This year there will be 2 or maybe 3 of us again. Really only PLANNING on 2, but plans may change.

Anyway, he wants to 4-person tipi and I'm inclined to go with the 6-person for a mere 14oz more.

Any comments or suggestions to make the decision easier? Some sort of tie-breaker.

Mike

Ken
06-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Definitely 6...maybe even 8...

Woods Walker
06-05-2007, 04:50 PM
I have used both combos and would go with a 6-man for your plains. What made me go with the 4-man rather than buy another 6-man (gave the first away) is that often I go alone and the small stove was easier to heat the 4-man. I have slept 3 inside the 4-man and I guess if I had too it could sleep 4. But the level of comfort is much better with the 6-man for 2-3 guys. With the 6-man you could keep the gear in the tent and stand to change etc.

Levi
06-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Gotta agree Eastern fellas' advise....6 or even an 8 man would be much more comfortable then the 4 man.

Levi

yooper07
06-06-2007, 09:29 AM
You GAVE away a 6 man, wow! Nice gesture, and a fortunate recipient.

Dave R.
06-06-2007, 12:42 PM
yep....6 or 8...leaning towards the 8 if you can carry it....

Woods Walker
06-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Yea. Big mistake.... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Well no reason to cry..... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

Lovelight
06-06-2007, 01:25 PM
I don't have experience with a 6 but an 8 is really generous for 3 - palatial for 2. You will also want to consider stepping up to at least the medium stove if you go that way. An additional consideration would be if you want/need the liner.

The tie breakers for me would be how many people will *normally* use it, how far you need to pack, how steep the country will be, hunter's physical condition, and time of year/lowest temp/inclement weather expected. The 8 man also definitely would have more comfortable stand up space if that is important to you.

danh
06-06-2007, 01:47 PM
8 man is great for 2-3 with gear for hunting. Agree with larger stove too. Liner is nice too.

Woods Walker
06-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Problem is that if you add in the weight of everything the 8-man with large stove and liner is just too much for one guy to carry. But a 6-man with small stove or 4-man with small stove and liner is not. Have packed both just fine. I made my 4-man a bit bigger by adding 7 inch loops to the Ti nail pegs. Raised the tipis some and then I would kick snow around the gaps. Add in the liner and it is draft free. But that in no way makes a 4-man into a 6. Patrick and Dave R were sitting in my 4-man and we taked about how 4 people could sleep inside the thing if they had to. However I would not want gear inside the tipi with a population like that. Sleeping does not mean hanging out and crawling around much. Thinking 1 man inside the paratipi, 2 inside the 4-man, 3 inside the 6-man and 4 inside the 8-man would workout very well for comfort. As for the big 16 man? Betting all 16 would be just fine. That thing is massive.

mnoyd
06-06-2007, 04:21 PM
I have hunted with three in a 4 man - it can work but I would recommend the 6 man for optimum space

Ken
06-06-2007, 04:28 PM
When hunting with a friend or two I don't find my 8 man too much to carry by myself provided the others bring some grub and a bottle of scotch.

Ksnake
06-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Would that be a 6 or 8 man bottle?

VA Traveler
06-06-2007, 05:20 PM
How much space does the liner use?

flamingo 7
06-07-2007, 06:29 AM
Michael,
Hopefully I'm facing the same decision. I've been planning on a four man but the six keeps sounding better and better. I like the "being able to stand" part. I think my better half is going to "insist" I get a tent/stove when my current tour is done. Hope to be home for a couple of weeks in July to visit the Mecca in Denver and hold discussions. Good luck on your decision. Life is good.

Patrick
06-07-2007, 07:02 AM
VA Traveler, the liner can be installed "tight", or "loose"--the latter providing more insulative value. Even if installed loose the liner easily pushes away if you, yourself, or some item of gear is against it. The net effect is that the liner takes up zero space.

Hoogster
06-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Last year I carried the 8Man and large stove on every outing.
This setup was a little on the heavy side for soloing. I opted to downsize. Wanted the ST/annex but traded for a paratipi and a paratarp with Dave R. Haven't used a 6Man, but I think if you are going to consistently have 3 or 4 I would go 8Man.

Michael Aos
06-07-2007, 08:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoogster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you are going to consistently have 3 or 4 I would go 8Man. </div></div>

Actually it's specifically for 2 people, for 1st-season elk hunting. It could be used later in the year in future years.

He's also like it to pull double-duty for soloing for archery season, but that's not a priority for me.

The 3rd-person option is more of an emergency situation.

Mike

Ken
06-07-2007, 10:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ksnake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would that be a 6 or 8 man bottle? </div></div>

...uuuggghhhh...8! ...of course... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Ksnake
06-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Woot! Now we're talkin! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

PrimalHunter
06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
I hunted the 3rd elk season last year in Colorado with my brother. We used the 6 man tipi with the large stove. We found the 6 man to be quite nice (room for all our gear too--we probably took too much)and the extra cooking surface afforded by the large stove made cooking quick and easy. Also, knowing that I had a large stove that could heat our tent no matter what mother nature threw at us was very reassuring--especially since we were new to elk hunting.

Primal