PDA

View Full Version : SST pegs or Wal-Mart

Dirtysouth
06-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I just purchased a para-tipi with a small stove. I am planning on using it in my home Alaska. Tundra, gravel bars, and High mountains.
Do I need to purchase the SST pegs or can I just use the long aluminum pegs from Wal-mart? What's the difference?

Dirtysouth
06-05-2007, 01:28 PM
It's better to be lucky than good any day.

danh
06-07-2007, 05:47 AM
Have tried other stakes besides the durapegs myself. Ended up back to the durapegs. As usual..Patrick put more thought into those things than I anticipated. The durapegs are pretty bomber.

et
06-07-2007, 08:50 AM
I am not sure how long the Wal-Mart pegs are But I am very thankful that I brought the SST pegs with me to AK. I have cut conduit to the same length as the SST pegs for snow camping. The extra length is key in the tundra, the longest dura pegs are not even close to being long enough. I wrestled with this last year and I am glad I followed the advice of those on the Board.et

rambler_wannabe
06-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Maybe Walmart is different up there, but I have seen nothing in any wallyworld that I would trust my life to....

Jim N
06-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Get Patricks pegs. You need the added length & cross section to hold in the soft stuff.

Dirtysouth
06-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks I have recently ordered a set of the sst pegs. I think it will be $$$ well spent.

Dave R.
06-10-2007, 05:28 PM
The SST pins work great....you put them in at a STEEP angle so that they slip under your living quarters part way...I was amazed the first time I saw them used correctly. I Helped Patrick put up his 16 man a few years ago. You could make them yourself if you had the time.

The Walmart pegs are not long enough they?....