PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a Tailgunner 1 to an Express or a Marauder?

BoulderTroll
09-19-2005, 09:29 AM
I have a Tailgunner 1 that I think will make an incredible aid-bag (I'm BLS only, so don't have to worry about saline, ALS airway stuff, etc.)

I'd like to hear if anyone has ideas for attaching it to my Express or Marauder. I'd prefer my Express, since this is my favored pack, but if there's no good way of using it with this pack I could try with my Marauder.

As a side note, how many of you guys who work in TEMS or military medics carry a steth and BP cuff in your aid-bag? I consider the BP cuff to be a "nice to have", and not a "need to have", for a trauma pack. And possibly the same for a steth, with the exception of diagnosing a tension pneumothorax. Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug

BoulderTroll
09-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks Mel! Mel just called and told me a medium pod would work excellent for this purpose (and is actually the reason pods were invented) /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I ordered one a few minutes ago. I'd still like to hear your thoughts on the medical gear if you have personal experience and observations.

Thanks,
Doug

Nathan C
09-19-2005, 11:24 AM
I use the Tactical Tailor first responder bag. I fit an entire IV kit, curlex, airways, bandages, baby bulb syringe as a small suction. Alot more than I expected. But then again I'm a fister and nobody can fit as much stuff as we do /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I do have a steth for lung sounds, but no BP cuff. Our medic actually rides in my truck so my stuff is kinda unused with me as the gunner. Although I did attach a Blackhawk medic pouch to the outside. In that I have the Galls GSW kit. It's got the chest seal, Quick-clot, occulsive dressings, trauma dressings...Although I think for my next med pouch I'm going to get the Diamondback Tactical BIRK kit. It seems to have most of what you need for a quick combat trauma.

If this is your civie bag, I would toss in a ruggedized BP cuff. Probably fit in a small pouch on the exterior. Vital signs are the most important things to get early on, so especially if your a first responder.

If I was running a normal COLT/FIST/Sniper team with no medic, I would probably toss in a cuff. We're by ourselves in that role and I may be the only medically trained guy in the area for a couple days depending on mission.

Hope that helped some

Nathan

Nathan C
09-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Oh and the TT bag, the fastex buckles are the same as Spec-ops', so I can click it into my T.H.E. pack. Little lopsided, but not bad for transporting all together.

Nathan

inFALable
09-19-2005, 07:47 PM
BoulderTroll,

I had a similar question about a TG1 on my Zulu. Military Moron pointed me here. http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000893;p=1#0000 02

BoulderTroll
09-20-2005, 07:49 AM
Nathan and InFALable, thanks for the info and links. Nathan, good point about the BP cuff for vitals in the civvie world. I've become so used to the TEMS mindset lately of just guessing the BP by the presense/ absense of pulses in the tactical environment, that I forgot how much the first responders like the real info:).

InFALable, I like that idea as well...I have a pod on order which will be great to have anyways (for all kinds of stuff), but I might try to make that other way work as well. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

imported_airsupport
10-02-2005, 01:57 PM
I bring this thread up because I want to do the same thing with my Express. Does anyone have any pics on how it was attached?

endwahl
10-02-2005, 10:36 PM
I suspect that the Tailgunner would be too short to Dock and Lock securely on the back of the Express, which is proportioned to dock a Back Pouch. You MIGHT be able to dock it to one side, as the sides are proportioned for docking Long Pockets. But in order to do that you would have to turn the TG on its side, and find a solution for attaching male Docking buckles to the strap attach points of the TG, as opposed to using the PALS Webbing. It would probably not be very secure. Might have more success with a TG2.

From what I can see the best alternative is the recommended one, using a Medium Pod and docking it to the bottom. The Pod is easy to open and close and will offer extra protection to the TG. Another option might be finding some way to anchor the TG to the floor of the Express, so that it would be accessible by opening the bottom zip.

Mel
10-02-2005, 11:21 PM
I must say again, the best solution is Tailgunner (either one) and medium Pod. You can Dock n Lock it to the bottom of the pack, or out front (check out the Pod page). Yes, you can Dock n Lock it to the front of the Express.

Mel

imported_airsupport
10-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Mel, are you saying to put the Tailgunner inside the pod and then attach it to the outside of the Express? Or am I getting my wires crossed and you can attach the Pod to the bottom and the Tailgunner to the front? I am so lost. I think I might give you a call later on as I have some more questions and it would be easier to talk about them than write them.

As for putting a TG in the inside of the Express that is a mismanagement of space.

Mel
10-03-2005, 07:06 AM
Airsupport, that is correct, you put the TG inside a medium Pod, and then you have the option of attaching it to the bottom of the Express, or on the front of the Express. Give me a call later and we can discuss it in detail.

Mel

medic16
10-03-2005, 01:58 PM
I use the TG1 as a first responder bag. It works pretty good. I have also used the TT first responder bag. I would give the nod to the TG1 because of size and construction quality. Also, you can attach a small pod to the bottom of the TG1 if you needed to carry more stuff. The stuff I pack in the TG1 is more than the average first responder because I am a medic and I just packed mine to my skill level. If you need any help suggetions maybe even pics just let me know.

BoulderTroll
10-03-2005, 05:20 PM
medic16, I'll take you up on the offer for pics and list of contents of your TG1. Up until now I've been using an Eagle Industries M4 but I like the design of the TG1. I'm always looking for suggestions or ideas, so fire away. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

So far, here's my list of what I'm going to put in mine:

Trauma shears
Laerdal mask
OPA's
small bottle of saline (250 to 500 ml)
iodine
vacuumed kerlix
isreali bandages
turniquates
steth
bp cuff
4x4's
2x2's
2" dermicel tape
1" transpore tape
Quik-clot
kelley forcepts
pen & paper
flashlight and chemlights
space blanket
minor meds (asa/ excedrine, diphenhydramine, etc.)
band-aids (assorted)
bulb syringe
bandage scissors
triage tags
PPE (gloves, biohazard bag)
etc...

Thanks,
Doug

medic16
10-08-2005, 06:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/medic16/DSCN0174.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/medic16/DSCN0173.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/medic16/DSCN0171.jpg

Here are the supplies that I carry:

2 Hemcon bandages
5 Israeli bandages
3 cravats
2 SOF Tourniquets
1 small roll of 2in. duct tape
2 chemlights
5 4X4 gauze
4 4X5 tegaderm
2 pair of exam gloves
2 30ml saline solution
2 trauma scissors
1 albuterol inhaler
2 benadryl injection
1 pocket mask
1 IV kit with 500ml hespan fluid

Airway kit includes:

Cric kit
ET tube 7.5
2 asherman chest seals
3 petrolatum gauze
1 10GA 3in catheter
Littman cardiac III stethoscope
NPA with surgilube
2 benzion tincture

If anybody has any questions I will be glad to help.

moa_shooter
12-10-2011, 07:09 PM
I thought I would dig this thread up from the depths to see if anyone has done this. I didn't see any other threads about doing this.

I attached the Tailgunner 1 using grimlocks through the webbing loops of the delta strap ladderlock buckles and the Molle webbing of the Marauder. I then attached female side release buckles to the top ladderlock buckle loops and attached them to the top compression straps.