PDA

View Full Version : Dew on the inside of paratipi

JHW
06-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Took my paratipi out for the first time this weekend (how cool it was!). Sunday when I woke up the inside of the tent was soaked. I slept with the bug net on with the main doors wide open. I also did not have a ground cover. Is there something I can do to prevent this?

Songdog
06-04-2007, 03:00 PM
My kids love setting up one of the tarps or tipis in our back yard. If I've been watering the grass frequently then the condensation factor in the morning is substantially higher in the tipi/tarp. If I were to pitch the same tipi/tarp 100 yards away behind the house on a sandy/dirt area you would notice almost zero condensation the following morning.

So all that to say, there's condensation from humidity and there's condensation from evapotranspiration (the water given off through evaporation and transpiration from plants). Where you pitch your tipi can hav a dramatic influence on the latter. The former is best helped with a liner or stove.

What was the ground under your tipi like?

DEW
06-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Honest JHW I wasent there.... DEW

JHW
06-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Dew that's funny.

Just a bunch of grass, and yes it was hot and humid. So that does make sense. I need to find a ground cloth.

Woods Walker
06-04-2007, 07:18 PM
I have given up on figuring out all the factors for condensation. Sometimes it is raining cats and dogs but nothing. Other times it is clear but the walls are dripping. Setting it up on grass seemed to be an issue however often the dry ground is better than too much ground cloth. Seems temperature change is a factor but I don't consider condensation to be a big problem. The stove helps clear it out.

I do know that any single walled tent will have it. In the winter when not using the liner sometimes the condensation would freeze on the walls of the tipi and if it was windy than a misunderstood weather phenomena known as “Tipi snow” will fall. But hardly life threatening.

The Vigilante
06-04-2007, 08:21 PM
does kifaru make a liner for the paratipi?

Songdog
06-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Bushcraft had an interesting approach to the same problem...

A frame thread (http://forums.kifaru.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=76050&page=0&fpart=1)

Rusty Hook
06-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Then there is the matter of the water vapor we all give off from our breathing and insensible perspiration - about a quart per night per adult person. Wind and venting the tent also helps as does running your stove if it is cold enough for that. Bigger tents spread the condensation out over a bigger area. There is condensation in houses also, but houses are big enough that it isn't all that noticeable except on window pains in the winter under the right conditions. Now if someone would just design and build a silent, backpack-able dehumidifier, then we would all have it made. But would it still be camping out?

Rusty

The Vigilante
06-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Rusty would one of those fans sitting onthe stove blow enough air through the tent to help reduce the condenssation? I am not sure of the weight but it seems like it would help

Jason Harley Bird

Rusty Hook
06-05-2007, 03:01 PM
I haven't tried one but I believe a fan would be of some help with outside ventilation included in the mix...Rusty.