PDA

View Full Version : Multi day Spike Camp

DEW
06-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Can you do A 2-3 day bivy hunt with a Spike Camp or would you be way better off with the better suspension of the late season? Is the newer suspension on the spike camp that much better than the original. Thanks DEW

Len
06-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Obviously I have a different diff of spike camp. What are you refering too? Suspension.

CCH
06-02-2007, 11:10 AM
I've used the Spike Camp (old suspension if there is such a beast) and have the Late Season and would find the Spike Camp challenging to use for a 2-3 day hunt. I'm sure there are those who do, but even with ultralight gear and pods I think it's pushing it. This is a capacity issue and not a suspension issue as the Spike Camp can carry a pretty stout load for it's size. However, the Late Season will carry more and heavier gear than the SC as well as being a better meat toter.

Smokepole
06-02-2007, 12:58 PM
I have both and I'd agree with CCH.

Sawtooth
06-02-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't have a Spike Camp, but I can tell you that I would be hard pressed to use a pack smaller than a Late Season. I've hunted 2-3 days quite a few times, with a Late Season and medium Pod, and I have very compact, lightweight gear. I just don't see it fitting in a Spike Camp.

Everyone has different geographic areas they hunt, different rambling/hunting styles, and gear. The observation I give is based on MY situation (high altitude, Rocky Mountain, ultralight, low-impact, compact gear, etc.). YMMV and probably does! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

(How's that for a disclaimer?) /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

CCH
06-02-2007, 02:29 PM
You should also mention the rather petite nature of your clothes. Mine take up about twice as much room as Sawtooth's. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Sawtooth
06-02-2007, 03:14 PM
How true...however, the good Lord blessed you with about twice as much muscle mass as I have, too! So strap on your Longhunter Rendezvous and hit the trail! I'll be tippy toeing around with the LS, wearing my Winnie The Pooh undies. There's a good reason my rambling load only weighs around 30 pounds now...It's because I only outweigh that load by 98 pounds. That's the equivalent of a 225 pound man carrying a 52 pound pack.

You ought to try to find good gear in children's sizes! It ain't easy! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DEW
06-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. Toothy I dont have the high elevation but lots of steep n nasty, 10 ft alder brush and every other kind of crappy under brush that NW montana can throw at ya. Thanks DEW

Sawtooth
06-02-2007, 06:00 PM
DEW,

I understand. I've scrambled up rolling hills in Missouri chasing turkeys and whitetail deer, and sometimes it felt like I was back here at home! Busting through that tangled brush can be a workout for sure. The only thing that can compare here are the willows and maybe the Gambel's oak.

DEW
06-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah I grew up in Colo so know exactly what your talking about. Thanks alot for the input on the packs. I just received my 6 man and am waiting for my sleeping bag. Would like to have one of everything on the K web site but we all know that aint gonna happen over night. But I do see another pack to compliment my long hunter. DEW

CCH
06-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Winnie the Pooh? I thought it was Dora the Explorer. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

P.S. It's definitely not muscle mass and I'm just with a Late Season these days so you have to pack your own Scotch.

DEW, you don't need one of each. You could probably get away with every other item. Less if you mix and match Military and Hunting.

DEW
06-03-2007, 06:23 AM
CCH if you were to sell me that small little Late Season you could buy yourself a LH rendezvous and be able to tote a bit more scotch in for Sawtooth. I can picture it now Toothy all laid out by the fire sipping scotch in his rubber footed Dora underroos.. DEW

Sawtooth
06-03-2007, 06:38 AM
You guys cut to the quick. That's why I hang out in the wilderness...there's no one there to see it. It's kind of like Vegas...what goes on in the wilderness stays...well, you get the idea. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Ken
06-03-2007, 10:22 AM
A spike with some pods could be considered a 2-3 night pack. Patrick explained to me that the new suspension on the Spikecamps is a good bit better than the old. IIRC he stated that 50-60 lb loads had been carried comfortably.

I asked if it was worth it for me to upgrade to a new Spike and he explained that I could get some more performance out of my existing Spike if I left some room in the bottom corners of the Spike to allow for cranking down the delta straps. This would effectively make the pack grip my waist better, giving somewhat the effect of the new suspension.

Songdog
06-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I think it's more a question of cubic inches than weight carrying ability. I've had a few "heavier than I should have" loads on my Express and it handled it fine. I was uncomfortable but not because of the pack. My 190lbs isn't use to weighing 295lbs.

This particular load was a little over 60lbs of boned out mule deer on an overnighter near home.

http://home.pacbell.net/jniednag/Deer_Hunting_06_014.jpg

GJZ
06-03-2007, 04:50 PM
DEW,

The LS can handle quite a bit. It is a really good pack. I'm not good at packing light and had mine full with just about all I needed to carry. It's just about right, not too big....not too small. I've been on short trips where all I used was a Daystalker. It's taken a few years to get more than 1 pack but I'm going to give a Siwash a try. IMO, upgrading to a Siwash will be more of a luxury than a necessity if that puts it into perspective. The Spike Camp for Stealth....

All good advice from the others folks as ussual.

Songdog, Neat photo!

DEW
06-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. Now who out there might have a Late Season that they need to get rid of???? Thanks DEW

GJZ
06-04-2007, 12:30 AM
It's not a bad thing to have an extra pack. We flew into the wilderness in ID on one hunting trip. My friend used my Late Season and I used a LongHunter/Guide. I offered the LHG to him but he liked the LS better. Personally I found the LH to handle the weight better as intended and they were both fitted to me....if that had anything to do with it. I'd like to keep the LS, it's still a great pack and I will still use it. Maybe you could find one on the Garage Sale forum???

Rusty Hook
06-04-2007, 07:03 AM
DEW,

The Siwash is a lot bigger than the Spike Camp and a little bigger than the Late Season. You also get a slight suspension upgrade with the Swash and the back-loading makes it easy to see and access what you want or need with out having rummage around inside of or partially unpack your pack. If you are looking for a pack that bridges the gap between the Spike Camp and the Long Hunter, you might give the Siwash a serious look. I have a Siwash and a LH Guide packs, and I agree with the above statement that the LH handles the heavier loads better. Either the late Season or Siwash will bridge the gap between the Spike Camp and Long Hunter packs if you prefer top loading packs...Rusty.

GJZ
06-04-2007, 05:12 PM
They're all good aren't they....each with an indivdual niche!!!

DEW
06-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Rusty thanks for the info. I have a Long Hunter and was wanting something a little more compact for archery season but still have the capabillity to haul the first load of dead critter out. Hauled 2 bulls out last year with the LH but it gets tough to maneuver through the brush when your trying to sneak around. I dont really like to drop my pack cuz it seems that most of the time I wind up a fair distance away from it. DEW

GJZ
06-05-2007, 04:43 PM
I think Patrick once stated that if he had only two packs....it would be the LongHunter and a Spike Camp. But that may have been before the Late Season was introduced. I'd have to agree with the others. For a one day compact archery hunt the SC might work. For 2-3 days the LS would be hard to beat. If you were going on a long, hard archery hunt for mtn. goats or bighorn sheep I'd be thinking Siwash.

GJZ
06-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Finally got to see the Siwash in person! Looks like this pack can handle long, hard trips!
Took a few years but worth it! Here is a synopsis if it helps.

The Siwash was a close fit for the box it came in: 4"X16"X24"
Good sized backpack....compresses to an amazing thin profile. IMO Looks like it could easily handle a lot of awkward gear like spotting scopes, tripods ect., especially if you started adding back or side pouches. Muti-day pack for sure. One feature I liked right from the start were the compession can be unbuckled....probally because it's a panel loader. The water bladder sheath seems much wider the LS, more room for things like an extra scope, etc, and the lumbar pad is much thicker than my LateSeason....to handle more weigth I suppose....you'll have to ask the experts. Feels nice....like a LongHunter when you put it on. I don't know if a newer LS would have a thicker lumbar pad or not.

Daystalker: scouting....traveling light.

SpikeCamp: if you want stealth.

LateSeason: good multi-day pack....like a 40 cal-- perfect compromise between 9mm & .45

Siwash: when you really need to haul extra gear....or your an amateur like me and you don't know how to pack light.

LongHunter: when you need the option of a Hauler....this pack had to be born in elk country....I'm patiently waiting to get our bear season back so I can haul one out of the woods on it.